- The Moon and I by Betsy Byars
- Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
- Sometimes the Magic Works by Terry Brooks
- The Elements of Style, Third Edition by William Strunk Jr. and E. B. White
If you're familiar with the first three titles, you can probably see a theme evolving: books by writers who spend time procrastinating or advocating the "just write it down" school of thought. Bradbury's book had some interesting thoughts on writing using free-association word lists as a basis. I'm gathering up advice magpie-fashion, so any suggestions you can send my way are welcome.