Thursday, January 5, 2012

Illustrator Redux

Once again, I get to show off how little I actually know. A few things I've learned since my initial call for an illutrator:

  1. There are a lot of talented people out there
  2. I should probably not ask for help over vacation, since I'm offline most of the time, and those same talented people now probably think I'm rude/dead
  3. I'm actually only one of those things
  4. It's probably a good idea to nail down the cover illustration while your draft is being read and revised, and not after, so you don't have this nagging sense that the process has come to a crashing halt, when in fact it's just taking The Right Amount of Time
  5. There is no number 5
  6. I know nothing about how to spec illustrations, or how this process is "supposed" to work
  7. "Illustration" is a very broad term, which appears to mean "anything other than a photograph"
To everyone that's contacted me: I'm sorry I have not replied, please see point #2, above. One person is taking a swing at the cover, but as per #6, I don't know if it's standard/polite/acceptable to also ask other people to do the same, at the same time. That feels a bit unfair to me, and considering that the stakes are so low, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. But clearly there's artsy talent out there, waiting to be tapped.

So, here's my promise to all the illustrators that I have been rude/dead to: I'm re-reading this year's NaNoWriMo draft, with the intent of digitizing the same and unleashing it on my unawares pre-readers. When that happens, I'll put out another call for a cover for that book, per #4. I can only do that, however, if I also learn what's expected of me. Illustrators, what do you need from an author?

2 comments:

Rob Bowker said...

Michael, this why you sometimes need a publisher. Or a graphic designer, at least. I feel like I have abandoned you, sorry. Point 7: Illustration CAN be a photograph too. Meanwhile, I'll drop you an e-mail with some useful (I hope) advice.

Mike Speegle said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better at all about it, I am learning a great deal from your situation. Please, by all means continue to update us on your...situation.