Sunday, July 17, 2016

Because This Week

I think it might be tragedy fatigue, watching the UK reel from Brexit, and France from the tragedy in Nice, and the ramifications of chaos in Turkey, and America's increasingly violent live-streamed summer. I don't know if creating in the face of destruction is courage or denial, or an appreciation of the relative safety and calm of my own life.

I don't know. But it's been a hell of a week in a hell of a year, and we're only half through 2016. Our national elections are still months away, and the levels of toxicity and division are the highest I can ever remember. As a country, we've gone from memorializing the Civil Rights movement to reliving it. And I hug my kids, and try to breathe, and take the time every morning to be glad of the sun and the sky and even the mundane details of my neighborhood. And I'm still wrestling with a rewrite of a book, because I have few things I can do right now except to create.

In Dreams #garden #succulent #surreal #walkabout #coolneighbors #clickthing

Melody and Counterpoint #blackandwhite #abstract #shadow #fence #industrial #walkabout #lofi #clickthing

Celluloid #colorful #abstract #hypersaturation #architecture #contrast #visualecho #synesthesia #clickthing

"Ethylene" #fordfalcon #martinez #coffee #vintage #van #statescoffee #statescoffeeandmercantile #walkabout #clickthing

#dvc #statue #publicart #blackandwhite #tinted

Set Piece #dvc #blackandwhite #theatre #backstage #foundart #automobile #vintage #contrast #clickthing

Green Gate #sunrise #pleasanthill #cityhall #colorful #bluesky #perfectmorning #clickthing

Sunroom #sunrise #lensflare #suburban #red #adirondackchair #summer #cali #clickthing

Moving Day #blackandwhite #lofi #plastic #horse #wtf #movers #clickthing

Fields of Cotton #sunrise #mtdiablo #lasjuntas #summer #clouds #bamboo #clickthing

4 comments:

Joe V said...

I can relate to your feelings. I've come to believe that most of human history has been filled with carnage and tragedy. Perhaps the post-WWII era was of unusually relative calm, but now we're back into normalcy. Whatever the case, we've got to keep creating.

Ted said...

Glad to see some still have the spirit - nice image-making! (:

Feel kind of dead inside myself, and I started off the year with such high hopes..

Anonymous said...

And the scary thing is, things will probably get worse before they get better. :|

Anonymous said...

As a German I just wanted to let you know that Europe will welcome all refugees from the US if the Donald makes it.
Of course, this wouldn't save anyone in the long run since the whole world would go down the drain with someone with this "personality" in charge of nuclear weapons anyway, but at least you could have some last days in peace and freedom.

Oh, btw.: Please go vote! The british already showed the world what happens if too many people think their vote doesn't make a difference. So please, American people, go vote! The world is watching in confusion and dismay at what is going on.