Friday, November 14, 2008

And it's (almost) halftime...

NaNoWriMo 2008: Day 14

Everybody kicking some wordcount butt? Yes? No? Well, even if you're not, just keep at it. Even with my highly-planned setup, I've suddenly been introduced to three brothers that seem to be serving as both comic relief and some word-building backstory. Writing their pathos makes me think that the rest of the book is over-serious, something I'll have to investigate when I go back to revise: seek opportunities for lightness. I'm concerned that I've got 100+ pages of drudge to muck through before there's any chuckles, and that may be too much for anyone to bear.

Maybe I need appropriate headgear? These three brothers were born of an early-morning writing session when I'm still in my pajamas, groggily blinking my way into the world of the living again. I can get maybe three pages done in the morning before the kids are up, but get another five or six at work on my lunch. I think the button-down shirt is making me too serious. Might need to look into wearing the kilt sometime. (Or you know, not and instead keeping my job.)

4 comments:

Monda said...

I'm finding the same seriousness problem. Of course, there was absolutely no planning whatsoever on my part beforehand.

It's fun catching my own curve-balls, though.

The kilt sounds like a perfect idea. I've got a church-lady hat I could probably throw on and get the same effect in my own story. It's a good idea.

mpclemens said...

We had a perfect week for it, too, random high temps. and sunny skies. Alas, kilt-wearing while balancing a typewriter on one's knees is an adventure in modesty maintenance.

Teri said...

A guy at work wore one of those, sort of a cargo kilt. (He happens to be the inspiration for my main character, although I haven't worked a kilt into the story yet.)

Personally, I thought he needed a sporan, but I did give him thumbs up for the effort;)

mpclemens said...

Utilikilts have numerous pockets, which handles most of the use of a sporran. As for it's ability as a modesty protector, you can order your kilt with an optional snap. Good for those times when you need to scurry up a ladder without fear of frightening those with sensitive constitutions. :-)